Get help


  1. If you experience or witness an incident of student misconduct of any kind you should report it to the university here:
    1. In doing this, the university will deal with it discreetly, as far as you are comfortable and support you.
    2. You may complete the form yourself or someone else can do it on your behalf.
  2. If you experience or witness a hate crime or incident of any kind, you should report it online here: You can also report anonymously to the police here:
  3. If you experience or witness an incident or sexual assault or rape, you can report it 24/7 (and should do this as close to the time as you can) to:
    1. The University’s student misconduct reporting form (see above)
    2. The police on 999 or 101
    3. York’s local Sexual Assault Referral Centre (SARC), Bridgehouse: 03302230362



Out of office services:

  • Campus Security: Emergencies. 0800 43 3333 (freephone).

  • Nightline: Confidential listening service about anything at all.

  • NHS Helpline: Call 111 for medical assistance or advice that’s not serious enough to call 999.

  • Non-Emergency Police: Call 101 for assistance with something that you’re not sure is immediately serious enough to call 999 or to report an incident.

  • Samaritans 24hr Helpline: Call 116 123 any time for a free,  safe place to talk about any concerns, worries or troubles. They’ll talk to you about how you’re feeling and won’t probe for details or tell you what to do.


In office hours services:

  • College Welfare Team: Help with settling in, info on college life/accommodation/activities, first point of contact for assistance & problems with housemates.

  • Advice and Support Centre at YUSU/GSA: They can help independently from the uni with applying for exceptional circumstances, difficulties with course/uni, alleged plagiarism/cheating, complaints/appeals and support with any personal issues of any kind.  01904 32 3724/ or drop in.

  • Open Door Team: They can help with any mental health or psychological problems. Book an appointment by filling in their online form here: +44 (0)1904 324140/ or fill in referral form here

  • Personal Supervisor: They can help you with feedback on your work, any difficulties with studying/your course or issues affecting your ability to study.

  • International Student Support: General support for International Students. Location and opening hours same as Visa and Immigration Advice. +44 (0)1904 324140.

  • Disability Support: Amazing support tailored to individual needs throughout uni. If you have a physical, mental or unseen disability but feel unsure, they encourage you to come for a chat anyway. Find them in Block B, Sally Baldwin:9am - 4.15pm, Mon to Fri (term) 10am - 4pm, Mon to Fri (outside term). 01904 324785/

  • Money Matters: Any financial problems or if you just want financial advice, find them in the Student Support Hub, Market Square. +44 (0)1904 324140/  

  • Visa and Immigration Advice: Find them in the student support hub in market square. +44 (0)1904 324140/ .


Off-campus/external services:

  • Unity Health GP:  Register and book appointments online for the surgery on campus.

  • Campus YorSexualHealth Unit: For sexual health tests and info find them in the CII Building near Wentworth College: Wednesdays 12:30pm - 3.00pm - Walk in Clinic (Term Time Only).  01904 721111.

  • Improving Access to Psychological Therapies (IAPT): Free counselling for mental health. Self-refer or get your GP to. A great service especially if you’ve been waitlisted on the NHS and need support sooner. 01904 556840

  • York Mind: Offer a range of free wellbeing services inc. a 12 week (13-25 year olds) recovery-focussed mental health mentoring program. Check out their other services online or ring on 01904 64336

  • Mainstay: Offer a range of free individual-focussed mental health support services inc. mentoring, counselling, recovery short courses, drop-ins, coffee groups, health walks and skills for work programs. 07823 322993/

  • Survive: Counselling, 1-2-1 support and helpline for survivors of rape and sexual assault of all genders. They also have specialists for transgender individuals.  01904 642 830/ or Advice and Support Team in YUSU can book you in.

  • Bridgehouse/Sexual Assault Referral Centre (SARC): Offers free support/practical help (listening, emotional support, medical care, reporting to the police, support if you’re calling about someone else) to anyone who has experienced sexual abuse. (It’s worth noting that their female medical examiners can also collect evidence of an incident in the last 7 days and store it if ever you want to report to the police.) They will also follow up 6 weeks after an appointment. 0330 223 2642 (9am – 5pm)/ 0330 223 0099 (out of hours).

  • Independent Domestic Abuse Services (IDAS): Support, care and refuge for anyone who has experienced domestic violence or sexual abuse of any kind at all, as well as help for those who feel they themselves might be abusive. 03000 110 110 (domestic abuse helpline)/0300 111 0777 (rape support helpline)/ or fill in online form .

  • Men’s Advice Line: Support for men who have experienced abuse/domestic violence. 808 801 0327/

  • Respect: Offering advice, info and support to anyone concerned about their violence/abuse towards a partner/ex-partner or conversely anyone affected by these issues. 0808 802 4040/

  • 1-2-1 Counselling: They offer 6 free professional counselling sessions for a variety of issues to anyone over 16 (with possible extension of another 6 sessions). 9-4pm weekdays in town. 07587155678.

  • York Women’s Counselling: Affordable counselling for women (they ask for a donation to cover running costs dependent on your income) for any issue. 01904652706/

  • Spurriergate Centre: Affiliated with the Association of Christian Counsellors. Professional listening and counselling service (donation suggested). 07847181154/

  • The Tuke Centre: Counselling/therapy service for a wide range of issues by self-referral or GP referral (charges may apply). They have specialists in trauma (PTSD), eating disorders and personality disorders. 01904430370.

  • Qwell: Online counselling through their website for adults and carers in York.

  • CALM Helpline: Specialist mental health helpline for suicidal feelings and emotional distress in men up to age 35. 0800 585858.

  • Saneline: Specialist mental health helpline; 0300 304 7000.

  • Papyrus Helpline: Provides support and practical advice for mental health crises for people up to the age of 35 who are worried about themselves or someone else. 0800 068 4141/

  • York Advocacy: Provides free, confidential and independent advocacy service for individuals with mental ill-health. 01904 414357/

  • Healthwatch York: Can help you get the best out of your local health and social care services.  01904 621133/

  • LifelineYork: Drug and alcohol services to prevent and reduce harm and promote recovery. 01904 464680/

  • Talk to Frank: Friendly, confidential advice on drugs. Live chat, email, text available. 0300 123 6600.

  • Miscarriage Assocation: Provides support and info for anyone affected by pregnancy loss. 01924 200799/

  • Reflect: Free support service for people facing an unplanned or crisis pregnancy. 01904 676710/

  • York Racial Equality Network (YREN): Provides independent and impartial info and support for people experiencing racial discrimination, harassment, or social isolation. 01904 642600/

  • York Unifying Multicultural Initiative (YUMI): Provides opportunities for people from many different cultures to meet with the local community and make friends. They have lots of cool food and crafts groups and a community garden. 01904 624742/

  • York LGBT Forum: Registered charity which offers support and social groups for LGBT people in all aspects of life.

  • Stonewall: Has a database to find local LGBTQ+ community groups and region-specific LGBTQ+ friendly employers, including more generic support.

  • York Carers Centre: Provides support for carers. 01904 715490/

  • York Mind Carers Peer Support Group: Regular support meet-ups for carers of people with mental health issues. 01904 643364/

  • York Family Information Service: Free and impartial info for carers and guardians of 0-25 year olds for anything regarding family life. 01904 554444/

  • Meet the Parents: Meet and connect with other parents similar to you.

  • National Debtline: Free and confidential debt advice service. 0808 808 4000.

  • Money Advice Service: Free and impartial money advice. 0800 138 7777.  

  • B-eat: Advice and support for any concerns about any eating disorder. 0845 634 7650/

  • GamCare: Info, advice, support, and free counselling for problem gambling. 0808 802 0133.

  • Mental Health Housing Officer: A housing advice drop in service for anyone who meets with a mental health worker. 01904 533150/

  • York Housing Association: Supported housing for people with mental ill health. 01904 636061/

  • CRUSE Bereavement Care: Someone to turn to when somebody close dies. Call 0808 808 1677.

  • Citizens Advice Bureau: Provides free, confidential, independent advice for almost any problem you can think of.

If none of the support services above (which are by no means all of them) are what you need, that’s okay! This pdf extensively lists every service in the whole of the York area by issue, it’s also a really comforting read as it explains the first few steps once you’ve realised (if this does happen) you might need some help with something.



  • The safezone app. lets you call campus security for help by pressing a button. You can also alert them to your location as a precaution.

  • Check out MIND’s useful self care tips and PDF booklet that explains what mental health is, different types of symptoms/condition and support. Worth a read whether this applies to you or not.

  • Mind Your Head (volunteer mental health campaign at UoY) have lots of self-help information and a regular blog where people can share their own experiences of mental health, as well as organising a variety of events throughout the year.

  • The Nightline website has really detailed info on a variety of different personal or health issues which is a great resource

  • The Mix is the UK’s leading support service for young people. They can help with anything from mental health to money, from homelessness to finding a job, from break-ups to drugs. You can chat to them online or on 0808 808 4994.