Academic Complaints

Complaints can be made about action, or lack of action taken or quality of service provided by, or on behalf of, the University. The subject of your complaint could you someone from a University department (including academic departments) or a student.

Complaints that are academic in nature, or against a service provided by a University department must be raised informally in the first instance via the head of the relevant department. If you are unhappy with the outcome at this stage, you could then raise the matter formally, at a higher level. Although the process for complaints is standard, the person you need to complain to would be different from case to case. We would strongly recommend  that you contact a Students’ Union- YUSU, or GSA (for postgraduate students) for information and guidance on the process, and advice on your circumstances.

More information on the complaints process is available on the University’s website.


Student Conduct

All students are expected to adhere to a code of conduct whilst at University. Any disciplinary complaints are dealt with under Regulation 7. If you wish to make a complaint against another student, or are the subject of a disciplinary complaint, we can help to guide you through the University’s complaints procedure. We can also attend any investigatory or formal meetings with you, and help you prepare for this.

You can also report incidents of student misconduct via the University’s online reporting system. If you would like to discuss the situation in a confidential and safe environment before going through the reporting system, please contact us and we will explain the process and help signpost you to relevant support, if necessary.

If you are part of  sports club, society or volunteering group at YUSU, you will be governed by the YUSU code of conduct and must make a complaint to the relevant member of staff in the first instance. If you are unsure of who this is, please let us know and we can signpost you to the right person.